Subject: Population 6-27-07 draft
From: Christine McDuffie &lt;[email-masked]&gt;
To: Judy Paolini &lt;[email-masked]&gt;, Cade Brown &lt;[email-masked]&gt;, Emily Jacobs &lt;[email-masked]&gt;, Shirley Conner &lt;[email-masked]&gt;, Mark Greene &lt;[email-masked]&gt;, Brad Brown &lt;[email-masked]&gt;, Curt Murley &lt;[email-masked]&gt;, Nancy Jordan &lt;[email-masked]&gt;, Kim MacVane &lt;[email-masked]&gt;
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:38:20 -0400

Town of Long Island
Comprehensive Plan
Population 6/27/07 DRAFT

The following are locally generated figures created after doing a 
windshield survey and confirming with various lists from the Town of 
Long Island, and with others in the community who have detailed 
knowledge of who stays on the island year round. Our community is small 
enough that population statistics are common knowledge, and residents 
can be counted relatively easy. This information has community 
endorsement.

Total winter population 2006 is 216

Our population as of the last Comprehensive Plan was 180. Our 
population today is 216 people. We have experienced an increase of 36 
people in twelve years, an average of 3 new people per year, but as a 
percentage of our small population that amounts to a 20% increase.

Age Breakdown       
                Last Plan (Fall 1994)       2006 Plan (Fall 2006)

Preschool       10 (6%1  of ‘94 total)          6 (3% of ‘06 total)
5-17            33 (18% of ‘94 total)           34 (16% of ‘06 total)
18-44           56 (31% of ‘94 total)           45 (21% of ‘06 total)
45-64           45 (25% of ‘94 total)           92 (43% of ‘06 total)
65+             36 (20% of ‘94 total)       39 (18% of ‘06 total)

 From these figures we can observe that the numbers of young people on 
Long Island are declining, particularly the very young and the 18 to 44 
year olds, while the number of older adults (45-64 years old) has more 
than doubled in the most recent twelve year period. Although the number 
of folks 65 and older has increased by 3, as a percentage of the total 
year round population that is a slight decline.

Curt will provide birth and death statistics from town reports.

Tenure of year round households
                
In the Fall of 2006 54 households  (56% of the total) were the same 
households which had been in residence in the Fall of 1994 - in other 
words the same family had lived in the same house since 1994 - and 43 
(44%) were new households since the Fall of 1994. New households would 
include those formed by marriage, divorce or new arrivals. This is very 
comparable to the average tenure reported in the previous Comprehensive 
Plan when 54% of the households had been in residence for at least 10 
years, and 46% had existed for less than 10 years.

Occupancy       
                Last Plan (Fall 1994)       2006 Plan (Fall 2006)
Single          26                      27
Double occupancy        31                      44
3 or more occupants         23                      26
Total               80                      97
Average number of persons per year round household: 2.25 persons

Official figures should become available from the State Planning Office 
packet when it arrives, but these figures are felt to be accurate 
island figures.

Seasonal Population

There is a large seasonal population which must be acknowledged on Long 
Island. It is difficult to estimate their numbers because occupancy of 
seasonal residences varies widely depending on family habits, vacation 
schedules, numbers of visiting relatives and guests and particularly 
the weather. The State Planning Office suggests estimating seasonal 
residents based on 2-4 persons per housing unit. This would give a 
range of 540-1080 seasonal residents in addition to the year round 
population of 216. As reported in the housing segment of this report, 
the proportion of winter houses to seasonal houses remains about 1 to 
3, even as both numbers slowly increase.

On Long Island, particularly in summer, there are also numbers of “day 
trippers” some of whom are visitors to island households, but many come 
simply to enjoy the island and its beaches. Their presence is noticed 
most on the beaches, but they are also an important customer base for 
our stores and gift shop.

Population Projection

There being no circumstances identified to cause us to expect a change, 
it is projected that our population will continue to grow at a slow 
steady space of about 3 persons per year. Perhaps more than many towns 
Long Island values its multi-aged population, and there is a good deal 
of interaction across the age spectrum. School functions attract a wide 
audience. Most of our public activities welcome all ages, and our 
seniors seem to enjoy our youngsters as our children bask in their 
attention. We want to be sure that our aging population has the 
services to live comfortably on Long Island.

The ability to make a living in the Town of Long Island is fundamental 
to the continued existence of our year round community, a fact which we 
do not take lightly. Philip Conkling of the Island Institute cites the 
grim statistic that of more than 300 year round Maine island 
communities in existence at the turn of the century, only 14 remaining 
today. The defining criteria for year round community status is an 
island school, because the lack of a school reflects lack of children. 
With no school, few families with children find it possible to stay on 
an island; the population cannot renew itself, and the year round 
community dies out. It becomes a summer island. As Conkling&#x27;s figures 
point out, year round Maine islands are an endangered species

Attracting and keeping young people on Long Island must be a priority 
if we are to survive - for the simple reason that we need them. 
Youthful vigor and abilities are required here more than in most 
communities because ours is a more demanding setting. Our volunteer 
fire department and emergency rescue operations require the strengths 
of youthful members. Our town must provide the kinds of services that 
will support the needs of young families. The well-known quality of our 
school is a source of pride among residents and property owners and 
reflects the level of community support it has traditionally enjoyed. 
Our school is valued because it&#x27;s excellence holds families here and 
attracts more, but families must  have the wherewithal to support the 
decision to live here.

Population Policy

Inasmuch as the citizens of Long Island have expressed desire for 
minimum growth, it shall be the policy of the Town of Long Island to 
neither actively discourage nor actively encourage population growth 
with the exception that the town shall attempt to provide services, 
which make it possible and desirable for young families to locate and 
remain here and to sustain those who already live here.

Population Policy Implementation Strategy

1. Periodic review of population levels should be made so that the Town 
can respond as necessary to either increasing or declining population 
trends.

2. The town is encouraged to continue its current commitment to the 
quality of our school and community services. =